Agar-Agar Flakes (Kanten, organic) - 28g
Kanten, known as agar-agar in the West, is an ancient vegetable gelatine traditionally made by freezing and drying extracts of various red sea vegetables. Kanten's natural jelling ability, mild flavour, and total lack of calories have made it a favourite with health-conscious cooks around the world.
To use agar flakes as a thickener:
- put 1/4 cup liquid (water or alternative milk) into a shallow pan.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon agar flakes over medium heat.
- Cook and stir gently for 2 to 3 minutes, until it is bubbling and gummy, and the flakes begin to dissolve.
- Add this warm agar immediately to the blender or whatever mixture you wish to thicken, and stir well. A blender works best to remove any lumps.
- The mixture will fully thicken in 30-45 minutes or faster in the refrigerator.
- For acid fruits, we suggest increasing the amount of agar you’d normally use.